Recently we have come to some great debates about visual media, tv shows and movies. Should we take them with a grain of salt, or a whole lot of salt? Was the work crafted with a superficial purpose such as entertainment or are they trying to strike a chord with everyone’s inner intellectualism?
In the beginning of our quest to find meaning on the Internet, Ms. Pugliese warned us to consider the source and look very closely into where the work we are studying came from. For example, if Jake’ s tv series on one hundred millions years later were to be created solely by graphic design students, we would take it differently than we did take a show with expert opinions by scientists at well-known universities.
I was pondering these questions alot as I revistited one of my favorites movies of all time, Ice Age. While it is extraordiarily funny and I still enjoyed that still, I watched the movie differently this time. There are many things that just do not seem right, and the reason they are there is for entertainment.
Here’s what I found that did not seem right:
- Scrat survives: this saber-toothed squirrel gets trampled, pummeled and frozen. He also clings to an acorn which he will never eat.
- All the animals migrate together: you see mammoths walking with turtles towards the South, away from the ice
- The hippo-esque animals play ‘extinction’
- The animals can all communicate (we will ignore this because it is a given in animal movies)
- The animals have a sense of purpose, trying to bring back the human
- A mammoth, sloth, saber-toothed tiger and a human baby form a conscious herd, and have each others backs
- The mammoth and sloth give the baby back to the humans, face-to-face
- The armored rhinos, although they are migrating south when they first attack Syd, are seen again in the ice
- The Dodo birds are aware of the ice age and think they can survive on three melons
- Diego the tiger betrays the other tigers to protect Manny
This is just a sampling. But Ice Age is a reminder to beware of your analysis. It is clear a humor and entertainment oriented film. The deepest meaning I could find is the idea of a very, very idealistic world in which animals can communicate and forge unbreakable friendships, have a sense of purpose and can interact with humans to a small degree. It is preposterous.